Families OverComing Under Stress (FOCUS)
FOCUS at Camp Pendleton provides family resiliency training for active duty personnel and family members and teaches specific skills related to family and couple communication, emotional regulation, problem solving and goal setting to promote strong military families. Consultations, educational workshops and skill building groups are available.
FOCUS training is free of charge and offers multiple locations with accommodating hours. Identity and participation information is kept confidential according to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards and will not be disclosed to other military families or command. If the safety of a participant becomes a concern, FOCUS staff is required to comply with both base policies and local/state laws.
- Helping families and couples identify and build upon their existing strengths and positive coping strategies
- Increasing parents and children’s understanding of how different family members might react to wartime stress
- Helping active duty personnel and family members communicate and better understand how each were affected by deployment
- Working with spouses to better support one another in dealing with the stressors that can arise from long separations
- Assisting couples to work more effectively as a team in parenting their children before, during, and after deployment
- Increasing parents skills in dealing more effectively with some of the emotional and behavioral reactions that children have when experiencing stress