Boarding, Trail Rides & Lessons Available!
For information and reservations, please call the Stables office at (760) 725-5094. Limited availability and by appointment only for lessons and rides.
Open to the Public for Boarding and Lessons
Boasting some of the best trail riding in San Diego, the Camp Pendleton Stepp Stables offers boarding, training and lessons. A friendly staff and trainers/instructors provide guidance for all levels of horsemanship at a competitive price.
- One hour lessons for ages 7 years and up in a variety of disciplines.
- Private lessons available for ages 3-6.
- One hour trail rides for ages 7 years and up.
- Instructors provide beginning to advanced training for horses to boarders.
- Training must be paid in advance.
- All lessons and trail rides are limited availability and by appointment only.
Stepp Stables is honored as the final resting place of Staff Sergeant Reckless, a famous horse veteran and Korean war hero. Bowen Rodeo Grounds are retired. Memorials for each are onsite at the front entrance. Stop by and say howdy!
Private boarding is available for Active Duty, their family members, Retirees, DoD, DoN, GSA employees and civilians. Stepp Stables has 101 private stalls that are 24’ x 24’ mare motel style pipe stalls and a lot pasture. A wide range of affordable boarding services are offered to fit your horse care needs. Layover box stall boarding is also available. Boarding available for mares and geldings only. Stallions may not be boarded at any time.
• Three large groomed arenas with lights
• Three round pens
• Hot walker
• Trailer parking for an additional fee
• Automatic fly spray system
Monthly Boarding Rates
(Military / Civilian)
- Owner Feeds Horse $220 / $240
- Barn Feeds Horse Once Per Day $280 / $300
- Barn Feeds Horse Twice Per Day $340 / $360
- Lot Pen Pasture $265 / $285
- Stall Cleaning 7 Days Per Week $90
- Supplements (Owner Supplied & Fed Daily by Barn) $20
Feed Choices Alfalfa & Bermuda. Orchard available for an additional fee. Additional services offered. Pricing available upon request.
Group and Private Lessons
(Adults and children ages 7 and up)
Lessons in multiple disciplines and skill levels are taught by qualified instructors. Students learn all aspects of horsemanship in group or private lessons. These lessons are one hour in length and include saddling and cool down time. School horses are available for riders who do not own their own horse.
Teeny and Tiny Tot Lessons
(Teeny – ages 3-4; Tiny – ages 5-6)
A fun private lesson that is a great first step for any eager young rider. This class teaches the foundations of good horsemanship geared toward a young audience. Instruction may vary with age and skill of the rider, but will include grooming, saddling, balance and the beginnings of basic controls of the horse.
Teeny Tots – 15 minute lesson (ride only) | Tiny Tots – 30 minute lesson
- One Hour Group Lesson $40/rider
- One Hour Private Lesson $55/rider
- 15 min Teeny Tot Lesson (Ages 3-4) $10 military | $15 civilian
- Half Hour Tiny Tot Lesson (Ages 5-6) $25/rider
(Adults and children 7 and up)
Take a ride through the scenic hills of Camp Pendleton and learn to apply basic horsemanship skills to trail challenges. All trails are one hour in length. Novice group and private trails are offered for a relaxing ride that is perfect for the beginner, intermediate or advanced rider.
Group Trail $45 military | $50 civilian
Private Trail $55 military | $60 civilian
Pony Parties $65 military/per horse | $75 civilian/per horse
Boy Scouts/Specialty Youth Organizations $30/per child
Please call the Stepp Stables office for more details or email us.