Individual Financial Counseling
BRS? Are You Getting Your Full Match?
Learn more, see your Command Financial Specialists for info and Class Dates.
Free Thrift Saving Plan (TSP) classes, Open to everyone. Meets 4th Fri of every month at Frontwave, Building 1105, formerly Pacific Marine Credit Union.
From 9-10am. For more info call (760) 725-/6098/9478 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP)?
The Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) is the federal government’s “defined contribution” plan; it works similar to a 401(k). Federal civilians and uniformed services members can contribute a portion of their salaries to their TSP accounts and decide how that money should be invested.
What is the Blended Retirement System (BRS)?
BRS is a new retirement system for some members of the uniformed services. In exchange for a 20% reduction in
their military retirement annuity, which they still get if they serve 20 years or more, members covered by BRS receive TSP contributions from their employing service in addition to other benefits.
Financial NCO Course
The Financial NCO (FNCO) is a trained Sergeant or Corporal who is nominated to attend a 2 day course. The FNCO is expected to provide peer-to-peer influence by sharing the knowledge obtained with their peers.
The FNCO will support the unit CFS and installation PFMs by bringing awareness to said personnel of financial trends and educational needs.
- Command endorsed
- No NJP/poor performance counseling above Lance Corporal
- Have at least 1 year remaining with cur-rent command
Command Financial Specialist Course
MCO 1700.37 requires units to have qualified Command Financial Specialist (CFSs) readily available to provide financial training, education and information and referrals. The MCCS Personal Financial Managers (PFMs) train selected Marines and conduct all unit inspections. Upon completion of the 40 hour course the CFS is expected to serve as the command’s principal advisor on policies and matters related to personal finance.
MCO 1700.37 mandates the following criteria:
- Minimum pay grade E6, WO, O1
- Highly motivated and financially stable
- Be designated in writing by the Commanding Officer/OIC
- Have at least 1 year remaining with current command
- Participate in continuing education (forums/refresher training)
Functions of the CFS:
- Provide counseling, briefs, workshops
- Utilize approved internal/external financial resources
- Update PFMs with financial trends or metrics
- Assist in development of Extended Absence Financial Plans, Family Care Plans and Financial Screening prior to overseas/special duty assignments