We’re open to serve you starting Friday, May 1!
Hours of Operation:
Wed-Sun: 9am – 5pm
Face coverings required.
Facility access to boarders 24/7.
Your safety is our top priority. Please review our current policies:
- Group lessons and group trails available to those from the same household
- Patrons must call to make lesson appointments
- Lessons must be paid in full over the phone at time of reservation
- Lessons will be scheduled 15-30 minutes apart to allow time for disinfecting equipment and to allow patrons to depart facility before new patrons arrive
- We are accepting volunteers on a minimal basis. Volunteers are required to wear face coverings and personal gloves
- Lessons by Contract Trainers available for Boarders with personal horses
- Single patron trail rides, private lessons and private trail rides available
- Patrons, please go directly to the lesson tack room, not office
- Face coverings and riding gloves are encouraged
- Please practice social distancing
- Horses will be used once a day only to keep contact with horses and equipment at a minimum
- Front gate will remain locked. Staff will open for the gate for lesson patrons and volunteers
Boarding, Trail Rides & Lessons Available!
For information and reservations, please call the Stables office at (760) 725-5094. Limited availability and by appointment only for lessons and rides.
Pony Parties $65 military/per horse | $75 civilian/per horse
(Add a painted pony to your party for $25)
Boy Scouts/Specialty Youth Organizations $30/per child
Please call the Stepp Stables office for more details or email us.
Open to the Public for Boarding and Lessons
Boasting some of the best trail riding in San Diego, the Camp Pendleton Stepp Stables offers boarding, training and lessons. A friendly staff and trainers/instructors provide guidance for all levels of horsemanship at a competitive price.
- One hour lessons for ages 7 years and up in a variety of disciplines.
- Private lessons available for ages 3-6.
- One hour trail rides for ages 7 years and up.
- Instructors provide beginning to advanced training for horses to boarders.
- Training must be paid in advance.
- All lessons and trail rides are limited availability and by appointment only.
Private boarding is available for Active Duty, their family members, Retirees, DoD, DoN, GSA employees and civilians. Stepp Stables has 101 private stalls that are 24’ x 24’ mare motel style pipe stalls and a lot pasture. A wide range of affordable boarding services are offered to fit your horse care needs. Layover box stall boarding is also available. Boarding available for mares and geldings only. Stallions may not be boarded at any time.
• Three large groomed arenas with lights
• Three round pens
• Hot walker
• Trailer parking for an additional fee
• Automatic fly spray system
Monthly Boarding Rates
(Military / Civilian)
- Owner Feeds Horse $220 / $240
- Barn Feeds Horse Once Per Day $280 / $300
- Barn Feeds Horse Twice Per Day $340 / $360
- Lot Pen Pasture $265 / $285
- Stall Cleaning 7 Days Per Week $90
- Supplements (Owner Supplied & Fed Daily by Barn) $20
Feed Choices Alfalfa & Bermuda. Orchard available for an additional fee. Additional services offered. Pricing available upon request.
Group and Private Lessons
(Adults and children ages 7 and up)
Lessons in multiple disciplines and skill levels are taught by qualified instructors. Students learn all aspects of horsemanship in group or private lessons. These lessons are one hour in length and include saddling and cool down time. School horses are available for riders who do not own their own horse.
Teeny and Tiny Tot Lessons
(Teeny – ages 3-4; Tiny – ages 5-6)
A fun private lesson that is a great first step for any eager young rider. This class teaches the foundations of good horsemanship geared toward a young audience. Instruction may vary with age and skill of the rider, but will include grooming, saddling, balance and the beginnings of basic controls of the horse.
Teeny Tots – 15 minute lesson (ride only) | Tiny Tots – 30 minute lesson
- One Hour Group Lesson $35/rider military | $40/rider civilian
Note: Three or more/or scheduled time
- One Hour Semi-Private Lesson $50/rider military | $55/rider civilian
- Therapeutic Lesson $50 military | $55 civilian
- 15 min Teeny Tot Lesson (Ages 3-4) $10 military | $15 civilian
- Half Hour Tiny Tot Lesson (Ages 5-6) $20 military | $25/rider civilian
(Adults and children 7 and up)
Take a ride through the scenic hills of Camp Pendleton and learn to apply basic horsemanship skills to trail challenges. All trails are one hour in length. Novice group and private trails are offered for a relaxing ride that is perfect for the beginner, intermediate or advanced rider.
One Hour Group Trail $45 military | $50 civilian
NOTE: Five or more or instructor scheduled times
Private Trail $55 military | $60 civilian
Our namesake, Sergeant Major William F. Stepp, was a Korean War veteran and Bronze Star with Combat “V” recipient. Upon retirement, he held post as the stables manager for 20 years.
We are honored as the final resting place of Staff Sergeant Reckless, a famous horse veteran and Korean war hero. She was awarded two Purple Hearts, a Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal, was included in her unit’s Presidential Unit Citations from two countries, as well as other military honors.
Colonel A. C. “Ace” Bowen was a horse lover who wanted to revive the equestrian traditions of the Marine Corps. He instituted the Camp Pendleton rodeo and the Mounted Color Guard with the primary goal of representing the Corps’ tradition of Marines on horseback and was influential in the revival of the base’s Western heritage. The retired rodeo grounds were dedicated in his name.
Memorials for both Col Bowen and the final burial grounds of SSgt Reckless are located at the main gated entrance of the Stepp Stables.